Geographic Scope: Worldwide
Countries: Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe
Services: Technical Assistance, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research, Capacity Development, Knowledge Management
Technical Expertise: HIV
Strengthening High Impact Interventions for an AIDS-free Generation (AIDSFree) Project improves the quality and effectiveness of high-impact, evidence-based HIV interventions—such as HIV testing, treatment, prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT), voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC), and condom promotion—in order to meet country-specific objectives.
AIDSFree is a five-year cooperative agreement that supports and advances implementation of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) by providing capacity development and technical support to United States Agency for International Development (USAID) missions, host-country governments, and HIV implementers at the local, regional, and national levels.
In line with the PEPFAR Blueprint: Creating an AIDS-free Generation, AIDSFree translates research findings to programmatic practices, enhances further development of technical and organizational capacity to deliver high-impact evidence-based programs, and disseminates technical information through traditional, social, and emerging media for rapid scale up of core evidence-based combination prevention interventions including:
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT)
- Voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC)
- HIV testing and counseling as a gateway to treatment
- Pediatric and adult HIV treatment
- HIV prevention interventions, including condom promotion and structural prevention
- Other high-impact approaches that may emerge over the life of the project.
AIDSFree is also positioned to accept funding from USAID missions for strengthening HIV interventions and capacity building.
AIDSFree is funded and managed by USAID’s Office of HIV/AIDS. The program is led by JSI and comprises of a consortium of partners including Abt Associates Inc., Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, EnCompass LLC, IMA World Health, The International HIV/AIDS Alliance, Jhpiego Corporation, and PATH.
Read blogs by AIDSfree staff:
- Lessons from the PEPFAR Gender-Based Violence Initiative by Jen Casto, EnCompass LLC/AIDSFree, Lyn Messner, EnCompass LLC/AIDSFree, Pia Kochhar, Stephanie Joyce.
- Supporting PMTCT Adherence through the Private Sector by Aida Berhan, Pia Kochhar, and Stephanie Joyce.
- Adherence: Going the last mile in PMTCT by Aida Berhan, Pia Kochhar, and Stephanie Joyce
- Channeling Human Nature to Increase Adherence by Repsina Chintalova Dallas, Ibou Thior, Pia Kochhar, and Stephanie Joyce
- Adherence: The Key Element in HIV Prevention by Repsina Chintalova Dallas, Ibou Thior, Pia Kochhar, and Stephanie Joyce
- Strengthening Linkages between Clinical and Social/Community Services for Children and Adolescents who Have Experienced Sexual Violence by Pia Kochhar
- Serving the Needs of Children and Adolescents who have Experienced Sexual Violence by Marcy Levy, Senior HIV/AIDS Advisor, JSI
- Client-Led HIV Testing and Treatment as the Key to 90 + 90? by Melissa Sharer, Sabrina Eagan, Sabiha Ladak, and Malia Duffy, JSI Senior Advisor