State: New Hampshire
Client(s): New Hampshire Charitable Foundation
Service: Health Communication
Technical Expertise: Chronic Disease Management, Environmental Health, HIV & Infectious Diseases, Population Health, Rural Health
Tick Free NH is the continuation of a unique opportunity for collaboration between a proactive private funder who wanted to prioritize preventing Lyme disease in New Hampshire through grass-roots outreach and surveillance with a strong web/social component. The primary target audiences for the campaign are: parents (and care-takers) of children aged 2 to 13 years, and casual recreational users (hikers, gardeners); the secondary target audiences are: camp staff, day care center, schools, and outdoor recreational facilities.
For this targeted social marketing campaign, JSI created Tick Free NH to educate the public about how to prevent tick encounters and potentially contracting Lyme disease. JSI implemented a complementary grassroots education campaign partnering with State and local organizations, traditional and non-traditional partners, to educate and protect the New Hampshire public about Lyme disease prevention. JSI was tasked with the following:
- Researching knowledge, attitudes and beliefs in the state;
- Creating, testing and implementing a Lyme disease prevention and education effort;
- Monitoring national Lyme disease research efforts;
- Promoting New Hampshire-specific research;
- Supporting the efforts of the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (NH DHHS) to mount a more robust response to Lyme disease in the state;
- Coordinating a project advisory committee to inform selection of priority activities;
- Serving as a central resource for development of messages and health communication materials to support public education activities;
- Overseeing any local agencies and sub-grantees involved in implementation efforts;
- Monitoring progress of interventions including social and traditional media campaigns;
- Evaluating and summarizing results and lessons learned for future action.