As communities seek to improve the health of individuals living in them, it is imperative to address any environmental health threats that contribute to illness and disease. We partner with community groups to identify and address local environmental health hazards and develop workable, sustainable solutions that build upon resident knowledge and community assets.
Our process starts with an in-depth evaluation of the dangers posed by specific health threats, their causes, and any hurdles that must be overcome to foster change. We then work with individuals and agencies at all levels to develop intervention programs that promote multisector collaboration. These programs are effective because they are driven by the community, advance equity, leverage existing resources, and are based on the community’s social, political, and cultural contexts.
Our services include:
- Research on environmental health hazards and solutions
- Strategic planning, technical assistance, education, and training to address environmental health risks in the home, school, work, and community-wide settings.
- Evaluation of the impact of programs, policies, and environmental changes on residents’ health
- Development and implementation of programs to improve occupational health conditions, prevent pollution, and reduce exposure to harmful substances.
- Capacity building that advances preparedness and resiliency in the face of disasters and extreme weather events.