Family Planning & Reproductive HealthThe work of JSI in the U.S. began with its efforts to advance the health and well-being of women of all ages. Women are key health decision makers for themselves, their families, and their communities. Women also suffer a disproportionate health burden due to the risks associated with pregnancy and birth as well as higher risks associated with sexual and intimate partner violence. Women must be empowered with knowledge and access to care, so they can maximize their health, safety, and quality of life throughout the life course.
JSI provides training and technical assistance to health care agencies and professionals to provide quality programs and care for women, especially the poor and underserved. We recognize the need for tailored approaches in order to meet the widely divergent needs of women according to their social, cultural, and individual differences.
In partnership with our clients, JSI assists in improving access to and delivery of family planning services, prenatal care, nutrition counseling, substance misuse and mental health treatment, and the prevention of sexually-transmitted diseases and intimate partner violence. Specific ways we support our clients include:
- Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention: Identifying evidence-based approaches to reduce unintended pregnancy and provide training and technical assistance on implementation
- Family Planning Quality Improvement: Providing training and technical assistance on quality assurance, quality improvement, and evaluation of family planning services
- Family Planning Management Systems: Providing training and technical assistance to improve management and systems to meet the challenges of the changing health care environment
- Community Needs Assessment: Determining priority needs, service gaps, and barriers through local community and state Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessments, giving woman a voice in what the needs are for their families and community
- Health Disparities Reduction: Identifying effective approaches for community partners to link women of color living with HIV with quality health care service
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention: Capacity building to expand STD screening for at-risk populations by health care providers at publicly funded clinics to reduce preventable infertility in women
This Center will promote quality reproductive health services through the provision of training, technical assistance to qulaified NYSDOH family planning agencies.
JSI continues its extensive experience working with staff from Title X family planning centers, helping them provide high-quality and cost-effective family planning and related preventive health services for low-income women and men.
JSI is working with Planned Parenthood affiliates to improve the quality of their contraceptive care and STD services through Learning Collaboratives that support capacity building and increase resources.
JSI provides training to ensure the sustainability of Title X clinics by building their capacity to improve management and systems in a changing health care environment.
Through training and technical assistance, we build the capacity of Title-X funded organizations to measure and demonstrate performance, engage in quality improvement, and assess the quality and effectiveness of their services through evaluation.
JSI designed and implemented the program evaluation for Entre Nosotras, a peer-led intervention to reduce the inequitable impact of HIV, hepatitis, and substance abuse on young-adult African-American and Latina women in Boston.
JSI developed youth leadership to advance breast cancer awareness, prevention, and access to care using an innovative approach of bringing together students, family members, and community through a high school club.
JSI conducted focus groups with Latinas from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico to find out about traditional practices and products they use for reproductive health and to validate beneficial practices and those that don't work or may be harmful.
To help the Rhode Island Department of Health protect and promote health in the state, JSI developed a set of valid measures of health outcomes, health-related behaviors, and health system performance that can be generated on a timely basis.