Services: Technical Assistance, Assessment, Strategic Planning, Capacity Development
Technical Expertise: Maternal, Newborn & Child Health, Environmental Health, Health Systems Strengthening, Human Resources Management
In the 136 districts of Pakistan, the district health system is a critical tier of the Pakistani health care system, since it functions as an independent administrative and organizational node for the delivery of service to the population. JSI is providing technical advisors to respond to the Government of Pakistan's needs for assistance and to help ensure that direct financial support to GOP is used effectively and efficiently.
The Technical Assistance Unit for Health (TAUH) Project is placed in the Ministry of Health in order to develop the capacity of the Ministry to respond to the health needs of their populations. In light of USAID priority areas in health and the current scenario post-18th amendment to better plan, integrate and implement primary health care programs including family planning, the ultimate goal of TAUH is to build capacity in the GOP to ensure continuity and sustainability of health services that are making a difference in the lives of the target population.
Specifically, TAUH is:
1. Assisting the Ministry of Health (MOH) to devolve primary health care services to the provincial level (as required by the 18th amendment to the 1973 Constitution of Pakistan);
2. Providing technical mentoring and support to the MOH at provincial and district levels to enhance their capacity to oversee primary health care programs;
3. Enhancing public sector leaders' knowledge of and ability to program and manage evidence-based maternal and child health, family planning, immunizations, nutrition and water/sanitation interventions;
4. Supporting the functional integration of RH/FP services that promote the healthy timing and spacing of pregnancy;
5. Enhancing the competence and confidence of health facility managers to carry out managerial functions effectively and use data for decisionmaking.